Thursday 16 February 2012

'AWNIOGO': BUXTON (A)



Saturday, April 22

Following another long winter of discontent, I was delighted to be packing my newly acquired coffin in readiness for what I hoped would prove to be a highly successful season, both personally and for Moddershall Cricket Club as a whole. I had spent the majority of the close season in Valencia, where cricket is as commonplace as bullfighting in Bentilee, so my preparation had been limited to – and now is a good time to get your violins of sympathy ready – a fortnight-long tour of Barbados with Nottingham University CC (yielding 29 runs in 4 innings) and a solitary net-practice at Clayton. Something told me that neither experience was likely to bear much resemblance to batting at Buxton in mid-April, when the customary attire consists of an umbrella, an anorak and a sturdy pair of wellies.

When I arose to see a light yet steady drizzle falling from sombre looking skies, I realized that the prospect of play was bleak. Logic tells you that if it is spitting with rain in Stone then it is almost guaranteed to be monsoon-strength in Buxton, where their rather pleasant cricket ground is unfortunately positioned just over the back of Bill’s mother’s.

Having this particular fixture scheduled for the first Saturday of the season has, to my knowledge, only one advantage: it means that you can enjoy the rest of the season knowing that you won’t have to wake up before the milkman just to get to the ground on time. Set against that is the near-certainty of inclement weather, which means spending two or three hours in the country’s coldest, most inhospitable pavilion watching Mother Nature deprive you of 20 points. So, when Addo picked me up at 10.30 am, my early season optimism had already suffered its first major body-blow.

After calling in at Bourne Sports to buy some wicket-keeping kit, we collected Harv and embarked on our voyage over the Staffordshire Moorlands. It’s good to have Dickie Mint back on board again after what must have been a miserable summer for him last year. Carrying 2 lbs of steel around in your leg can’t have been a laugh-a- minute; combined with having to sit through some of our more mediocre performances must have been excruciating. I’m sure Harv will bring many things to the side this year: dashing strokeplay, flighted left-arm spin, a safe pair of hands, keenness and vigour, and, most importantly, a plentiful supply of hairgel. 

Road to nowhere...well,  to Buxton

Whilst cruising over the moors my mind began to wander off to exactly what my new position of vice-captain would involve. Although I was flattered by Drew’s proposal at the AGM, it wasn’t something I had given much consideration. I had hoped that some time after I finish my degree, if the opportunity arose, I would have a crack at skippering, but for this season I just wanted to learn some tricks of the trade and store them away with my own distinct theories and views on the extremely difficult art of captaincy. Our captain for this season has, like myself, no experience of his new role in senior cricket; however, it seems that He Who Must Be Obeyed is intent upon leading by iron-fisted dictatorship: opening batsman, professional, skipper, slip fielder, chief spin bowler… soon he’ll be making butties, mowing the wicket and serving the beer! Watch out Doug Eyre, he probably has one eye on the presidency as well. For what it’s worth, I think Jon will do a decent job if he doesn’t become timid when it comes to bringing himself on to bowl and he remains receptive to his player’s ideas. 

When we arrived at Buxton it was blowing a gale, the tarpaulin sheet assigned to cover the wicket was trying to fly, and there was an old, familiar face sat quietly in the bar: Kevin Colclough, my first 1st XI captain, back after five seasons with Hem Heath. Initially I thought that this was excellent news, until I found out that Cokey had quit smoking! With Kev comes Tina, his wife and our efficient new scorer, as well as his son, Karl, who has a cricket bat in his hands almost as often as his father has a pint in his. 


Eventually, after about six months gazing at a wet field, the umpires abandoned the game. Lovejoy, Minty and I stopped off for some fish and chips in town then headed back past The Winking man for Moddershall. Harv spent most of the journey wondering why The Winking Man didn’t wink on the way back. 

Back at Barnfields the beers began to flow liberally. Minty and I decided to hit the green baize and after I strategically lost the first couple of frames, ‘Hurricane’ Harvey, bolstered by Dutch courage, threw down the gauntlet and bet me a fiver that he would win a best-of-three frame challenge. “You didn’t want to do that! You wanted to keep your money safe in your wallet, didn’t you?” Of course, I gave him a 2-0 thrashing which nicely paid for my round of drinks. Bad luck old chap, how about darts?

We stepped up to the ochè and once again Harv won the friendly match, this time by 2 legs to 1. I asked him if he fancied a game for money, but my enquiry was met with a firm “No thanks”. However, Addo managed to persuade Dickie that he was on a winning streak and so eventually he wilted, agreeing to play one leg, straight off, for a quid. OK, so the stakes were small; even so, pride was at stake and the pressure was still on. After we both missed numerous darts at our respective doubles I sank an arrow into double four. Ker-ching.

Just when I was starting to think that it was my lucky day, that old adage – what goes around comes around – came back to haunt me. What happened was that I had to get back to Nottingham that evening for a university cricket match the following day. I postponed catching the 7.05 train so I could have another beer, then instead of catching the 8.05 Addo and I decided to call in at Meir Heath CC to watch a few overs’ cricket. The last train, the 9.05 service, left Blythe Bridge station just as we arrived and I was left stranded. So I had no other option than to call a cab, which cost me £45!!!

All in all, a pretty forgettable day. 


MATCH ABANDONED RAIN 


MODDERSHALL 0 points

BUXTON 0 points



No comments:

Post a Comment