Friday 17 February 2012

'AWNIOGO': SNEYD (H)


Saturday, April 29

Disaster! Catastrophe! Calamity!

Whilst playing the opening group match of the Universities’ Championship for Nottingham at Loughborough (our arch-rivals), I stepped straight into a fastish inswinging yorker and broke the big toe in my left foot. Already my season was on the back burner, and I would be out for between 3 and 5 weeks. Bummer!

So I was left sat on a sofa in Nottingham, feet up, watching Rugby League on TV and trying to milk some sympathy, wondering how Moddershall were faring against Sneyd’s Asian onslaught.

Around 9pm I telephoned the club and, going solely by the sound of boozy euphoria in the background, I guessed that 20 points had been safely banked, a fact confirmed by Baggers. Promotion is mainly achieved by having the ability to put away the lesser sides and this was an excellent start. A thoroughly clinical job had been done, at least that is how it seemed from what I could glean from the two match reports I was given. The first of these, from Addo, contained the word ‘brilliant’ at least thirty times, and the second, from Heardy, contained a lot of words but unfortunately I could not make head nor tail of anything he was saying in his Jock lilt, a warbling stream of vowels – apart from the recurrent reminder of his “red-inker”.

Stuff ‘em in, roll ‘em over, knock ‘em off. That’s the formula. 

MODDERSHALL WON BY 8 WICKETS 


SNEYD 160 all out (35.3 overs) 

M Ali 87, I Carr 4-47, K Colclough 3-43
MODDERSHALL 161 for 2 (31.4 overs) 

J Addison 71 ret. hurt, A Hawkins 39

MODDERSHALL 20 points
SNEYD 5 points 



No comments:

Post a Comment